Sunday, November 21, 2010

Changing home of record in the navy.?

I've been in the Navy for almost 10 years, and I'm going to reenlist for another 4 years. I've been told conflicting stories about changing the %26quot;home of record%26quot;. One person has explained to me that it can only be changed when a person reenlists. However, I've been told by someone else that the %26quot;home of record%26quot; can never be changed. I have changed my %26quot;state of legal residence%26quot; to the state I intend on retiring too, but I'm wanting to change my home of record.Changing home of record in the navy.?
Your home of record is the place to which the military will pay travel and transportation allowances if you are honorably discharged prior to retirement. Since that's where they brought you from, that's the place they'll use to figure out how much (maximum) they'll pay to return you.



They don't allow changes, because if they did everyone would choose Hawaii and get huge travel allowances. Think about it. If you're planning to do 20 and retire, you get %26quot;home of selection%26quot; entitlements anyway, so your home of record doesn't matter.



You can change your state of domicile according to the traditional rules (presence in the state combined with intent to make it your permanent home...again, no picking Hawaii unless you're there).



The Joint Federal Travel Regulation governs this. See page 17 of the attached file.



http://perdiem.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiemChanging home of record in the navy.?
HOR CANNOT be changed. This is fairly new, only about five years old. we used to be able to. No longer.Changing home of record in the navy.?
I don't know about re-enlisting, but when I was in, you could not change your home of record once active.