Sunday, November 21, 2010

What if the employer changed my status without my consent and has no record of anyone changing it?

In 2006 my status was S-0 and some how someone changed it to S-2. I for sure did not change it. Now, i had to pay taxes due to the employers fault. i understand that i received the money, but is there a way for the the company to face a consequence?What if the employer changed my status without my consent and has no record of anyone changing it?
Unfortunately the employer is not liable. Its your responsibility to make sure that your employer is taking the correct amount of taxes each pay day.



You need to fill out a new W-4 form and submit it to your payroll department. Keep an eye on your paychecks and make sure they are deducting all your taxes correctly.



I feel for you. Sorry.What if the employer changed my status without my consent and has no record of anyone changing it?
What is s-0 and s-2?What if the employer changed my status without my consent and has no record of anyone changing it?
Sorry, your taxes are your business. You receive regular paychecks, and it is your responsibility to insure that the correct amounts are withheld. In fact, if for some reason your employer is unable to withhold taxes for your situation then you are responsible for paying estimated taxes on a periodic basis to IRS or state revenue department. It is a hard lesson, but finances, and especially taxes are something to be careful with.What if the employer changed my status without my consent and has no record of anyone changing it?
I assume you're talking about your W-4, and it was changed from Single/0 to Single/2? In any case, you've received the money. If it was done without your consent, your employer has violated the law, but prosecution is unlikely. If you had to pay an estimated tax penalty, you'd have a better chance forcing your employer to repay that in small claims court.



If you REALLY want to be withheld as Single/0, you can request your employer to change the status to Single/0 with additional withholding, so that your total withholding for the year matches what it would have been if you had filed Single/0 for the entire year. (A payroll calculator such as paycheckcity.com will help estimate what the effect would be.)What if the employer changed my status without my consent and has no record of anyone changing it?
Tough.

File a new W-4 NOW.

Pay what you owe and get it over with.



Join the company 401k, and lower your taxable income, while gaining matching company funds.What if the employer changed my status without my consent and has no record of anyone changing it?
No. Regardless of a mistake on withholding, you owe the tax. This is why you should review your withholding on your pay stubs during the year.What if the employer changed my status without my consent and has no record of anyone changing it?
No, the responsibility is yours, even if it was a mistake by someone else. Didn't you notice when your takehome pay suddenly went UP even though you didn't get a raise?



You got extra money in your paycheck, so haven't paid in what you owe, so you have to pay it now.