Sunday, November 21, 2010

Changing a record player needle...?

I have one of those old school HUUUUGE record players-in-a-cabinet. I need to change the needle to it and I believe I have the right one (looks identical to the old needle...but not 100% sure...). So my question is, should it be pretty easy to change the needle if it is, in fact, the right one? Do I just pull it out...and push the new one in...or do I need to rotate anything...or what?Changing a record player needle...?
I'm dating myself with this answer but it is something anyone over 35 yrs old had to do quite often and take them out and clean them.

The fact is that most of these needles didn't need to be replaced for a long time but cleaning them with a dry toothbrush extended the life quite nicely.

They typically snap in place, you have to lift the arm straight up, a snap lid often covered the tip of the arm, once you lift it the lid, the needle comes out stray towards you.

Some other models you just grab the needle pull it down gently until it unsnap from the pressure holder and stick the new in the same way.

Slide the new needle in 'till it clicks in, close the lid and listen to your old 45's.Changing a record player needle...?
Yes, that is how ya do it. Kudos to you for being able to find one. Wish I had a record player.