Sunday, November 21, 2010

Is it necessary to change the A record when changing the name servers that will be hosting my domain?

I've registerd a domain name with Godaddy and I'm having the website that will be using that domain name hosted elsewhere. The person I'm hosting the website with is telling me i not only have to change the name servers but I also need to change the A record. Why is it necessary to change the A record. I've had other people host my sites on their name servers and have never had to change the A record. Could there be any malicious reasoning behind this?



BobIs it necessary to change the A record when changing the name servers that will be hosting my domain?
I don't think it's malicious. It appears that the person in question doesn't know DNS very well. Changing the domain's name servers gives more control over your domain compared to changing a single A record. Although, as long as you don't give that person registrar access to your domain, there's nothing to worry about at all.



Regards